Monday, April 19, 2010

Cantonese Dinner


Cantonese Dinner
(I really have no idea why it's called that! I guess it does have a bit of an Asian taste.)

This recipe was given to me when I first got married, almost 17 years ago. I have changed it so much that I'm not really sure what the original was. It also is one of those recipes that doesn't need to be followed exactly, you can certainly change it up a bit.

1-2 lbs. pork steak (or any pork, boneless pork ribs were excellent)
Place in slow cooker coated with non-stick spray.


In a medium sized bowl mix together:
1 (24 oz) jar salsa (I buy mine at a great price from Aldi)
1 (8oz) tomato sauce (again, Aldi) (optional I don't always use this)
1/4 C. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar

1 tsp. salt

Pour this mixture over your pork steak.
Cook on High for 4 hours.

After 3 hours or closer to 4 I take the meat out and cut it off the bones and into bite-size pieces, then add it back into the sauce and finish cooking in the slow cooker.

I always serve this over rice.

My family loves this! Nothing liking making me smile when I hear "oh what's for supper? oh that stuff? oh YUM!!"

This is just a quick estimate but this meal feeds a family of 5 with a bit left over for about $5. 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment