Monday, February 21, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I feel like I've been in a bit of a food rut around here. So, I found this recipe online and it sounded pretty good. Well, of course I ended up tweaking it to fit the ingredients I prefer to use and "healthy" it up. It smelled good. But I still wasn't sure. I didn't want it to taste like chili. I love chili but I wanted something different. 
Well, different it was. This was so good. Easy, inexpensive and TASTY!
I have Ro-Tel in the picture but didn't use it...this time.


























Chicken Tortilla Soup
4-6 chicken breasts (can be frozen)
2 cups salsa
1 to 1 1/2 cup corn (I used leftover frozen corn)
2 (15oz) cans black beans
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup water

Add all of the above to slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours. An hour before serving I took out the chicken breasts and cut them into bite size pieces then put back in the soup. 

8 oz cream cheese
Right before serving I cut the cream cheese into chunks so it would melt faster, and stirred it into the slow cooker. This added a wonderful creaminess to the soup.

We added some hand crunched up tortilla's to each serving. Yum!
I've already been requested to "make it again". So that makes it a winner here.

For a printable recipe~ Chicken Tortilla Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment