Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Easy Fried Rice

This is a lunch favorite at our house, usually using leftover rice or even making fresh rice in the morning because it’s just that good. And hey, lunch cometh and I’ve got people to feed!
So ready for this? You “recipe follow-ers to a T” are going to need to take a few deep breaths, if you are a “wing it” cook you’ll do just fine.
FRIED RICE
Rice
Butter
Soy Sauce
Egg(s)
Vegetables
Meat (maybe if you have it and want to)
You need a big saucepan/stir fry/skillet type pan. Add some butter get it melting, add your rice and stir for a bit~ we are going for some browning. Add in some vegetables (I usually use a bag or half a bag of frozen mixed veggies, sometimes I add in red pepper when I have it)
Let this cook a bit ~ (5-10 minutes)
Then add Soy Sauce, quite a bit to give it the right flavor. I’ll guess and say maybe around 1/4 cup. Just keep tossing the rice mixture. You can add meat to it if you like. I never have.
Serve it up!
Now that egg? Yes, I usually scramble up 2-3 eggs in my skillet FIRST and then set them aside on a plate and add to the rice mixture a few minutes before I’m ready to serve. OR, you can crack your eggs right in to the rice mixture, just cook really well.
We all like it better when they are cooked ahead of time then you get the actual “egg” in the rice otherwise you can’t really find it. But either way tastes good.

Fried rice is a nice easy, inexpensive lunch option. My family loves it and I think every time I make it they say “this is the best batch”!
So you can be really flexible with this, sometimes I have a lot more veggies than this picture shows, more or less egg, use what you have it always seems to be a winner!

1 comment:

  1. We love our fried rice too! We usually use fresh veggies (carrots, celery, bell pepper, onion) and just saute them until a little tender before starting the rice.

    ReplyDelete